Wednesday, March 01, 2006

THE FIRST WEDNESDAY OF EVERY MONTH...

...from noon til 1 these peace activists display signs at the corner of Hardy St. and Hwy. 49...

I talked to this woman, who is from Jackson.














She told me a New Orleans evacuee was with them that had a sign saying "Make Levees, Not War." I didn't get their names.

Then I talked to William, a former Army medic (81-85) who now does organic farming--blueberries and pecans--on 18 acres in Magee.















He was there with his wife Lynn, who worked the other side of the street.















I have never seen a protest even this small in Hattiesburg. That's not to say there haven't been others, perhaps I just didn't see them. But they said they've been coming to that corner every month since September--right on!

I asked William about the reaction (and he said the first amendment was the only permit he needed and he had talked to a Hattiesburg city official who told him no permits were needed anyway) from drivers and he said that a lot of them "get it half right"--they only hold up their middle finger when the peace sign takes two fingers...

Sorry about the quality of the pictures...It was pretty bright outside and my cell phone camera was having a hard time with the light...but you get the idea..

Let's make plans to be there with them a month from now...or even more often, if possible...

No comments: